Thursday, March 19, 2015

Overcoming Time Off From Injury

As much as distance runners do everything we can to prevent injuries from occurring, sometimes they still happen. I stretch my legs every night, use a foam roller, takes ice path and do injury prevention exercises such as gluteus muscle strengthening to prevent injury. My approach to stay injury free has been a success since I began running 8 years ago with only a couple minor bumps along the way. Unfortunately, this winter track season, I got injured with tendonitis on the top of my foot.
The tendonitis prevented me from running at all for a full 2 months. Tendonitis is the type of injury that if you do not let it heal completely before running again, it will not go away and instead become more painful. Just because I did not run during these past 2 months does not mean I did not work hard to stay in shape. Every day I would bike or swim for a full hour to keep my stamina high. I would also do a 20 minute core workout every other day and workout in the gym twice a week. All of this work helps maintain a high aerobic base and muscles strong allowing for an easier comeback to running when the injury is gone.
I finally started running again this past week. It is always a tough start when you haven't run for a while. I have been running 3 miles per day this past week and plan only slowly working my way back up to 10 miles a day by summertime.

No comments:

Post a Comment